PerfectKeyLog.AV belongs to the category of Potentially Unwanted Programs, also known as PUPs.
PUPs are programs that, due to their features or means of distribution, can affect users' consent, awareness or control over operations like:
- Modifications carried out on the computer.
- Behavior of the program.
- Processing of personal data.
The evaluation criteria of PUPs are based on the proposals suggested by the Anti-Spyware Coalition, organization of which Panda Security is a member.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
keystrokes, in order to obtain information for accessing online banking services, passwords and other confidential information.
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
PerfectKeyLog.AV uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.