What are the objectives of malware?
There are different types of malware, each with its threat level. Nevertheless, generally speaking, malware has the following objectives:
- Provide an attacker with remote access to an infected computer.
- Send spam from the infected computer to other systems.
- Access the infected user's local network.
- Steal sensitive information.
These are the most dangerous types of malware:
Scams: Trick users with fake travel promotions or winning lottery tickets, asking for money to provide access to the 'prize'.
Worms: Infect computers, slowing down networks and even blocking communications.
Phishing: Refers to creating fake websites to steal users' data and spoof their identities to, among other things, access their bank accounts.
Backdoor Trojans: Open a backdoor on compromised computers and let attackers take control of infected systems.
Keyloggers: Record, store and send keystrokes to attackers.
ATP (Advanced Persistent Threats): Enter infected computers for monitoring and control purposes, aiming to extract data on a continuous basis for corporate or political espionage.
Trojans: Install applications on infected computers, enabling attackers to take control of the affected system and its files and steal confidential information.
Exploits: Take advantage of security holes or vulnerabilities in communications protocols to enter computers.
Spyware: Gathers names, account details, passwords and, in general, any useful data from an organization.
Bots: Programs which, once installed on a computer, allow the attacker to take control of it remotely.
Ransomware: Blocks and takes control of computers, encrypting files and demanding a ransom to restore access to the system.
How to protect yourself from malware
- Think before you click: Don't follow links received from unknown people.
- Who is offering that app to you? Avoid downloading apps from untrusted sources.
- Don't wait until tomorrow. Keep your systems always up to date.
- Protect your identity with strong passwords.
- Choose an advanced cybersecurity platform.