Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to get into the affected computer.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, via email.
|First detected on:||June 1, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||June 1, 2009|
Mailbot.FN is a Trojan, which although seemingly inoffensive, can actually carry out attacks and intrusions.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
keystrokes, in order to obtain information for accessing online banking services, passwords and other confidential information; email addresses.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
- On remote sites: it mass mails junk mail (spam).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Mailbot.FN uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.