Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It generates a large amount of network traffic activity with the consequent consumption of bandwidth.
It carries out actions that decrease the security level of the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, across the Internet, via email.
|First detected on:||Feb. 9, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||Feb. 9, 2009|
Moonlight.W is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware; it changes the security settings of Internet Explorer, decreasing its security level; it changes system permissions, decreasing the security level.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It injects itself in running processes.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It prevents scanning tools from running, such as Windows Registry Editor, FileMonitor, etc.
Moonlight.W uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.