Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, via IRC, via mapped drives.
|First detected on:||Dec. 4, 2008|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 4, 2008|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Oscarbot.VB is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Oscarbot.VB uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.