MS07-036 is not categorized as virus, worm, Trojan or backdoor. It is a group of critical vulnerabilities in several versions of Excel, which allows arbitrary code to be remotely executed in the vulnerable computer.
Affected versions are:
- Office 2007: Excel 2007.
- Office 2003 Service Pack 2: Excel 2003 and Excel Viewer 2003.
- Office XP Service Pack 3: Excel 2002.
- Office 2000 Service Pack 3: Excel 2000.
- Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.
The vulnerabilities addressed in the Microsoft security bulletin MS07-036 are:
- Calculation Error vulnerability.
- Worksheet Memory Corruption vulnerability.
- Workbook Memory Corruption vulnerability.
If exploited successfully, MS07-036 allows hackers to gain remote control of the affected computer with the same privileges as the logged on user. If this user had administrator rights, the hacker could take complete control of the system: create, modify or delete files, install programs, create new user accounts, etc.
These vulnerabilities are usually exploited by creating a specially crafted Excel file that can be sent via email or hosted in a web page, and enticing users into opening it.
If you have any of the vulnerable versions mentioned above, it is recommended to download and apply the security patch for this vulnerability. Click here to access the web page for downloading the patch.
Additionally, bear in mind that this security bulletin replaces a previous bulletin, called MS07-023.