Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
, across the Internet, via mapped drives, through shared network resources.
|First detected on:||April 2, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||April 2, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Viking.SR is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
Viking.SR uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.