MS07-013 is not categorized as virus, worm, Trojan or backdoor. It is an important vulnerability in Microsoft RichEdit in several Office components on Windows 2003/XP/2000, which allows arbitrary code to be remotely executed in the vulnerable computer.
The affected components are:
- Office 2003 Service Pack 2: Access 2003, Excel 2003, FrontPage 2003, InfoPath 2003, OneNote 2003, Outlook 2003, PowerPoint 2003, Project 2003, Publisher 2003, Visio 2003, Word 2003, Word 2003 Viewer.
- Office XP Service Pack 3: Access 2002, Excel 2002, FrontPage 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Publisher 2002, Word 2002.
- Office 2000 Service Pack 3: Access 2000, Excel 2000, FrontPage 2000, Outlook 2000, PowerPoint 2000, Publisher 2000, Word 2000.
- Office 2004 for Mac.
- Project 2000 Service Release 1.
- Office 2000 Multilanguage Packs.
- Project 2002 Service Pack 1.
- Visio 2002 Service Pack 2.
- Learning Essentials 1.0, 1.1, and 1.5 for Office.
- Global Input Method Editor for Office 2000 (Japanese).
If exploited successfully, MS07-013 allows hackers to gain remote control of the affected computer with the same privileges as the logged on user. If this user had administrator rights, the hacker could take complete control of the system: create, modify or delete files, install programs, create new user accounts, etc.
This vulnerability can be exploited by hosting a website that contains a malicious RTF file and enticing users into visiting it, or by sending an email message with a malicious RTF file attached.
If you have any of the vulnerable programs, it is recommendable to download and apply the security patch for this vulnerability. Click here to access the web page for downloading the patch.