Some devices used in complex networks use virtual MAC addresses (usually devices working in load balancing mode). In this case, the appliance needs to know which of the two network interfaces is connected to each virtual MAC address being used n the organization.
The Virtual Mac Addresses option lets you define these addresses if Panda GateDefender Performa has to operate with them.
In this example, only the virtual MAC address corresponding to the network interface card NIC 2 should be inserted in the box. A typical example of use of virtual MAC addresses is Microsoft Network Load Balancing for configuring servers in high-availability mode and load balancing.
For each network interface of the appliance, the network devices that use virtual MAC address and which can be accessed through the network interface card must be included.
How to configure the use of virtual MAC addresses
- Check which network devices use virtual MAC addresses.
- Check which network interface card Panda GateDefender Performa uses to communicate with each device.
- Open Panda GateDefender Performa administration web console.
- Go to Settings>> System>> Network>> Network environment and in the Virtual MAC addresses section click the Specify virtual MAC addresses link.
Virtual MAC addresses must be added to the list of network interface cards through which the appliance can access them.
- In the NIC 1 box, insert the MAC addresses of all the devices that Panda GateDefender Performa can access through this network interface card.
- In the NIC 2 box, insert the MAC addresses of all the devices that Panda GateDefender Performa can access through this network interface card.
- Click Save.