Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It sends the information it has captured to a remote user.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||June 24, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||June 24, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Spammer.AY is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it converts the computer into a platform for taking malicious action surreptitiously: spam sending, launch of Denial of Service attacks, malware distribution, etc.
- On remote sites: it mass mails junk mail (spam).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
Spammer.AY uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.