Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It awaits remote-control orders to carry out.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, via email, via mapped drives.
|First detected on:||Feb. 27, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Feb. 27, 2006|
Gaobot.MJS is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Gaobot.MJS uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.