The PCSM Agent LanDeploy feature is a method of deployment subject to certain pre requisites and it is, therefore, not recommended for larger networks. For networks with a domain controller, the PCSM Active Directory deployment method is the recommended method of installation in this instance.
- Remote access to the Admin$ share must be enabled to initiate the deployment.
- From Windows Vista onwards, UAC has by default required elevated privileges to access the administrative shares. Either UAC is disabled on the device(s) or a registry entry is made to enable this share. Details on this can be found here: Microsoft KB article (951016).
- Windows XP Home will not work as this does not have the required administrative shares for PsExec to run.
- File and printer sharing must be enabled on the devices you wish to deploy to.
- Ports 445 and 139 must be open.
- You cannot authenticate as a user with a blank password. The user account with the correct permissions to enable an install must have a password to work using PsExec.
- This process assumes that all antivirus programs are set to allow the use of PsExec, which can stop the use of this program.
Steps to initiate LAN Deploy
- Connect to a device which is on the local network of the devices you wish to deploy to via the PCSM Agent.
- Click the Deploy tool button .
- The new tab displayed will be split into two. At the top, click the Device Discover button and a scan process will start. All the devices within the same domain or workgroup will be listed.
- Select the devices you wish to deploy to.
- Click the Deploy button.
- Enter the credentials for the deployment, if you haven't already done so via the Settings button. This part assumes that all devices on the local LAN have a username and password that are exactly the same and that all those users have appropriate permissions to install the agent.
- At this point, the deployment to the devices will be initiated.
- Each device deployed to will be listed in the bottom window and refreshed their deployment status every 2 seconds.
- The results of each device's deployment will be recorded in the Installed, Date and Output columns. Extended deployment information will appear upon mouse-over of the records in the PSExec Output column.
- There is also an option to add device names manually in the lower window. Once these devices are entered, deployment begins.
Note: There are several error codes that can come out of the deployment but these are arbitrary and the error is better described using what is stated in step 7.2.