Panda Data Control lets you define the type of content to be considered when generating inventories and performing searches. To do so, go to the Settings tab, select Data Control from the left panel and display the General option to configure exclusions and content indexing.
NOTE: Computers whose content has already been indexed and receive a change of settings will delete the index and start the indexing process again from scratch.
Administrators can exclude from searches those files stored on the computers on the network whose content must not be taken into account.
- Extensions: enter the extensions of the files to exclude.
- Files: enter the names of the files to exclude. You can use wildcard characters “?” and “*”.
- Folders: enter the folders whose files you want to exclude. You can use environment variables.
You can choose between two different types of indexing operations depending on whether you just want to generate an inventory of PII files across the network or search files by content:
- Index text only: this option indexes text only unless the content is part of an entity recognized by Panda Data Control. With this indexing option selected, searches by content will be more limited. Therefore, this option is recommended if you just want to generate an inventory of PII files across the network.
- Index all content: this option indexes both texts and alphanumeric characters. This is the recommended option if, in addition to generating an inventory of PII files across the network, youalso want to perform accurate searches by content.
NOTE: Panda Data Control searches for file contents based on the content indexed in the indexing process setting selected. If your computers have different indexing settings assigned, search results may not be homogeneous.