Local caches are used as a component cache for all components available in the Systems Management database. When devices on that network require components, the applicable component will be downloaded from the local cache, and not the PCSM server, to minimise network usage.
Thus, to avoid all PCSM agents downloading information from the PCSM Server (e.g. a Service Pack) to minimise bandwidth impact, you have the option of nominating a device(s) on the local site network as a local cache.
The PCSM agent will only download the components directly from the PCSM Server, if the local cache is not available.
How to configure a Local Cache
- Open the Admnistration console.
- Go to the Sites tab, select the relevant site and click the Settings tab in the main view.
- Under the heading Local Caches, select Click Here to add a device.
- Enter the name (hostname/netbios/domain name) of a local cache for this site.
This device should have adequate hard drive space to store all of the software that you may deploy, and should preferably be a device that is always left on.
- Ensure that the specified port is available for inbound communications and accessible for all devices on the local network.
- Click Save.
A device can also be added as a Local Cache from the Action bar on the Device Summary tab.