Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Slammer has the following effects:
- It increases the network traffic through UDP port 1434 (SQL Server Resolution Service Port).
- It slows down or even blocks the server.
- It slows down Internet communications.
- It can cause the e-mail service to fail.
- It can block the network.
Slammer follows the infection routine below:
Slammer does not create or modify files or entries in the Windows Registry.
Means of transmission
Slammer is sent to the affected server from another SQL server. Once it gets into the machine, Slammer looks for other machines that act as SQL servers in order to infect them. It does this by exploiting a buffer overrun vulnerability, which exists in servers that do not have Service Pack 3 installed.