Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
When Stoned.Spirit is run, it infects the boot sector of floppy disks (Boot) and hard disks (Master Boot Record or MBR), and carries out the following effects:
- It overwrites the original boot sector with an infected copy.
- It infects all the floppy disks used on the affected computer, provided that they are not write-protected.
Stoned.Spirit follows the infection routine below:
- It infects the computer when it is booted from a floppy disk infected by the virus.
- From the infected floppy disk, Stoned.Spirit goes memory resident.
- From memory, Stoned.Spirit infects all the floppy disks used on the computer.
Means of transmission
Stoned.Spirit only spreads through floppy disks, in the following way:
- It infects the hard disk of the computer, when it is booted from a floppy disk infected by the virus.
- It infects all the floppy disks used on the affected computer. These floppy disks will then infect other computers.