Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
Downloader.VBS allows hackers to get into and carry out dangerous actions in affected computers, such as capturing screenshots, stealing personal data, etc.
It avoids being detected by the user by using the following techniques:
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
- Passwords saved by certain Windows services.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
- It terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware.
Means of transmission
Downloader.VBS does not spread automatically using its own means. It needs the attacking user's intervention in order to reach the affected computer. The means of transmission used include, among others, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, email messages with attached files, Internet downloads, FTP, IRC channels, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks, etc.
Downloader.VBS has the following additional characteristics:
- It is 47145 bytes in size.