Panda Data Control is a security module included in Panda Adaptive Defense 360 and designed to help organizations comply with data security regulations and provide visibility into the personally identifiable information (PII) stored in their IT infrastructure.
Panda Data Control discovers, audits and monitors the entire lifecycle of PII files in real time: from data at rest to data in use (the operations taken on personal data) and data in motion (data exfiltration).
The PII Knowledge Table is the base for generating the applications and charts in Adaptive Visualization Tool, allowing the filtering and transformation of data (grouping, organization, searches, etc.).
Panda Data Control stores the PII information in a single table with the following features:
- Raw data storage
This is the result of the monitoring of computers and servers, along with the security intelligence information generated by the Adaptive Defense server.
- Continuous storage
All processes are continuously monitored and the information sent for storage.
- Real-time storage
The PII Knowledge Table is the base for generating the applications and charts in Adaptive Visualization Tool, allowing the filtering and transformation of data (grouping, organization, searches, etc.)
What do we look for
Data Recognized as PII:
- Credit card numbers
- Bank account numbers
- Personal and fiscal ID numbers
- Driving license numbers
- Passport numbers
- Social security numbers
- First names and last names
- Locations (cities) and countries
- Addresses and postcodes
- Phone numbers
- IP addresses
How it works
This process runs on the computers protected by Adaptive Defense. The agent scans all mass storage devices connected to the computer or server (local hard drives, external hard drives, USB drives, network drives and RAM disks) for files without an internal structure that contain personal information.
This search is launched automatically when the Panda Data Control module is enabled for the first time from the Adaptive Defense management console.
How to activate it
On Aether, go to the Settings tab, select Sensitive data on the Data Control menu on the left :
In traditional products, go to the Settings
tab, select the profile you wish, and from the Windows and Linux
left menu, click Data Control
How the creation of PII inventory works
- Enable Data Control enables monitoring the operations performed on PII files (data in use) and their transit (data in motion).
- Search for personal information analyses the internal storage drives of the network computers looking for PII files (data at rest). This option is necessary to create the initial INVENTORY of PII files.
- After enabling the two checks, Panda Data Control starts creating the PII inventory in the machines where that configuration has been applied:
- The time taken to create the inventory depends on the number of files in each machine.
- If there are machines switched off, they inventory will take place for those machines when the are switched on.
- Once the initial inventory has run, the inventory will be recalculated when there is a technology update with improvements in the algorithms of PII classification.
- In the meantime, the operations of data in use and data in transit will be recorded and visualized from Advanced Visualization Tool.