Panda Cloud Antivirus & Firewall Beta (1.9.1)

Finally the new Panda Cloud Antivirus beta is here, getting us closer and closer to the expected Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0 release. Version 1.9.1 incorporates a full fledged firewall with application and system rules. This new firewall and its settings is available from a new tab off the main GUI.

The full firewall included in this beta version is a smart community-based firewall which will automatically assign inbound and outbound communication privileges to processes. The automatic assignment is performed depending on its risk assessment as well as the direction of the communication which is being initiated. So if an OUTBOUND connection is being made by a Secure or Low Risk process, the process is allowed to communicate automatically. Alternatively if a process is deemed riskier, a prompt will ask the user to choose whether to allow or block the communication. A similar although stricter approach is used for INBOUND connections.

The risk assessment of executed processes is shown in the Process Monitor window of the main GUI as shown in the first picture of this blog post. This is calculated automatically based on many different conditions, such as safe lists, digital signatures, telemetry and prevalence, automated analysis of processes, etc.

However users can also manually manage the firewall rules by adding new ones, editing, deleting, importing and exporting rules and prioritizing certain rules over others. This is easily done from the Program Control window under the firewall tab of the main GUI as shown in the next picture.

Finally there’s also a lot of improvements in the antivirus part of the program, as always targeted at making Panda Cloud Antivirus even lighter and faster, as well as a usual batch of bug fixes. The full changelog can be seen below.

Changelog
* Firewall application rules for programs which can access the network or Internet.
* Firewall system rules for all programs.
* Firewall rules priorities.
* Automatic management of rules based on analysis and Process Monitor.
* Notifications of connection attempts and ability to create rules to allow or deny connection.
* Ability to import and export rules.
* Notifications in the event report of connection attempts which have deny rules.
* Additional types of cloud-queries for suspicious malware.
* Optimized Behavioral Analysis engine, both On-Demand and On-Access
* Improved cache of already scanned items to increase scan speeds and lower performance impact.
* Change GUI icons for Recycle Bin and Firewall.
* Added shield exclusions for Panda Cloud Office Protection processes.
* Signed drivers for installation and upgrade.
* Updated Panda Security Toolbar to 2.0.0.17 with Firefox 5.0 compatibility.
* Fixed behavioral blocking engine FP with OpenOffice.
* Fixed wrong translations on the context menu “Scan with Panda Cloud Antivirus” entry.
* Fixed incorrect message “incompatible AV” in installer.
* Fixed problems displaying the installer with non-default display settings.
* Fixed BSOD with NNSHttp.
* Fixed BSOD with NNSPrv.sys
* Fixed problems with lost connectivity after install.
* Fixed error 513 with diagnostic tool NetDiag.
* Fixed problem analyzing some compressed files inside compressed archive.
* Fixed problem with Panda Cloud Antivirus Service stability.

Download

Again thanks to the more than 16.000 beta testers so far who are helping us create a really stable Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0. Please test this new beta version as much as possible and don’t forget to report back.

Related News

50 Responses

1. fuentes
    Aug 17, 2011 - 12:51 PM

the question is will still be lighter

2. kurtextrem
    Aug 17, 2011 - 02:45 PM

Will it Autoupgrade to 1.9.1 Final when its here?

3. Cloud
    Aug 17, 2011 - 03:14 PM

@kurtextrem
    No, probably not. The final version will be 2.0.

4. WesTheWizard
    Aug 17, 2011 - 09:50 PM

My guess is that it’ll turn 2.0.0 when it’s “final.”

5. Cloud
    Aug 18, 2011 - 03:38 AM

@fuentes Yes, even with the firewall enabled the beta is still lightweight.

6. Cloud
    Aug 18, 2011 - 03:41 AM

WesTheWizard :My guess is that it’ll turn 2.0.0 when it’s “final.”

I don’t think it will. But I’ll ask a Moderator for confirmation.

7. Fuentes
    Aug 18, 2011 - 02:25 PM

can have the windows firewall and the panda active at the same time cloud?

what is the difference between them?

8. Cloud
    Aug 18, 2011 - 03:47 PM

@Fuentes No, you will need to disable either Panda or the Windows Firewall, otherwise you may notice a performance drop. The difference is that the Panda firewall is more cloud-based and much easier to configure than the default WF.

9. fuentes
    Aug 19, 2011 - 12:48 PM

I am very clear answer to have affected the 2?

10. DakotaSpirit
    Aug 19, 2011 - 02:41 PM

I am not sure I like the idea of putting a firewall and antivirus together. I use private fire wall and like it, so am in no hurry to get rid of it. You cannot use two firewalls at the same time and have stability on your system. But it seems that this is the way most companies are going these days. I shall have to think on this…. It never occurred to me that this might happen or I might not have ever used panda to begin with. I am wondering why you put the two together, exactly what advantage is there to it?

11. baki
    Aug 19, 2011 - 04:13 PM

12. Michael Seegmiller
    Aug 19, 2011 - 10:28 PM

13. cd
    Aug 20, 2011 - 12:56 AM

14. Michael Seegmiller
    Aug 20, 2011 - 01:15 AM

@Cloud….When is the 2.0 Panda Cloud Anti Virus will be release? and will the free version includes the “Firewall”?

15. E.land
    Aug 20, 2011 - 01:58 PM

I am delighted with this antivirus, had already tested several of them and Panda Could surpassed everyone for their qualities: sober, efficient, no annoying warnings without plublic Free version I’m using. Congratulations for this advanced program, I recommend it to all my friends. Thanks for that!
    E.land
    Bahia.Brazil

16. prateek
    Aug 20, 2011 - 02:09 PM

i am using PPPoE/PPPoA config for internet
    panda 1.9 some how disables internet connection &
    say it is not connected to internet & ask for proxy
    i can’t find any option to connect directly to internet.
    i dont have problem with version 1.5
    & sa soon i uninstall it my internet is restored to normal.

17. Cloud
    Aug 21, 2011 - 11:59 PM

@fuentes
    What do you mean? I do not understand.

18. Parrot86
    Aug 22, 2011 - 12:52 PM

why pro version is paid firewall? i don’t get it :(

19. Parrot86
    Aug 22, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Please make Cloud Sandbox Free/Pro like Sandboxie ?

20. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:04 AM

@Parrot86 Because its a PRO feature? It does make sense I guess, since there would be a problem if the firewall was included in free. Panda Antivirus PRO includes a firewall. ;)

But who knows…they may make a standalone version. Lets wait and see. :)

21. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:05 AM

baki :im on pro verison (got it via fb page). so if i dl this beta will it be still pro?

The beta has all the features of PRO so you wouldn’t need to use your PRO key. :)

22. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:08 AM

@DakotaSpirit Using two firewalls is dangerous, and could possibly create major performance issues. That is why it is recommended to only use one firewall.

23. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:09 AM

Michael Seegmiller :I want to know when is the release date of Panda Cloud Anti Virus 2.0? is the firewall also included in the free version?

There is no ETA as of yet, stay tuned. :) No, only PRO.

24. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:15 AM

cd :The panda firewall(1.9.1) is not registering with the action center in windows 7. Can I fix that?

This is a known issue. The current build, as you mentioned, does not register with action center. After turning off the Windows Firewall, go into Action Center > “Change Action Center Settings” and uncheck “Network Firewall”. :)

25. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Parrot86 :Please make Cloud Sandbox Free/Pro like Sandboxie ?

There may be a sandbox feature in the near future. Who knows. ;)

26. Cloud
    Aug 23, 2011 - 05:28 AM

@prateek Please post a thread in the Beta subforum, so that they can solve your issue.

27. jeka4you
    Aug 26, 2011 - 01:03 PM

Very good antivirus)

28. Kate
    Aug 29, 2011 - 05:05 PM

is the Beta version a trial version or is it free? if it is a trial,how long can I use it before it expires?thank you

29. MAndras
    Sep 01, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Will the Time Remaining counter during install ever be fixed?
    It should be 00:00:00, not 0:0:0.
    For example, timeremaining 3 min 32 sec should be 03:32, not 3:32
    and 0 min 6 sec should be 00:06, not 0:6
    Eventually, I don’t think the hour should be there, nothing takes like 2 hours to complete

30. Eden
    Sep 04, 2011 - 10:59 AM

I would like to ask?
    Can be increased?
    “Automatic Scheduled scan” Function ?

31. mina
    Sep 05, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Kate :

Hi Kate, a beta is always free. Before the final product release, software developers use to publish a “beta version” which is a version aimed to be tested by users outside of the company to put the finishing touches and correct bugs users would report.

Here you have the definition from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_release#Beta

By the way, Panda Cloud Antivirus is available in a Free version and a Pro version. You will still be able to be protected for free with Panda Cloud Antivirus after this beta period.

32. Cloud
    Sep 05, 2011 - 03:30 PM

Kate :

The public beta is free.

33. Cloud
    Sep 05, 2011 - 03:32 PM

@Eden There is no “automatic scheduled scan” function in Panda Cloud.

34. mike
    Sep 06, 2011 - 08:52 AM

thanks

35. Andrew
    Sep 14, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Few questions. I currently have Panda Global Protection. What are the differences other than that listed at http://antivirus-software.findthebest.com/compare/116-122/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Free-Edition-2012-Anti-Virus-Software-vs-Panda-Global-Protection-2012-2012-Anti-Virus-Software is there really any purpose to keep paying for panda global protection or should I just get cloud. Is it always going to have a free version or are they going to eventually start charging for it?

36. dhuesca
    Sep 16, 2011 - 11:06 AM

i purchased yesterday panda cloud pro, will i be able to upgrade to 2.0 with firewall with my license?

37. crozzzlinx
    Sep 22, 2011 - 03:41 AM

wow, many thanks for great app,,

38. PaulTR
    Sep 27, 2011 - 05:17 PM

The beta 1.9.1 just crashes & closes on windows 7. Tried re-installing & using as the only security product but still no luck.

39. Cloud
    Sep 30, 2011 - 11:57 PM

@Andrew Both products are lightweight and protect you well. ;) Panda Global Protection has several layers of protection, and benefits from the Cloud Intelligence (the servers that power Panda Cloud). The Free version, as far as I know, is here to stay. :)

If you want a light & powerful suite, choose Panda GP. Want something more basic, light, and easy-to-use…choose Panda Cloud. It is up to you.

40. Cloud
    Oct 01, 2011 - 12:02 AM
  41. Cloud
    Oct 01, 2011 - 12:03 AM
  42. AJ90
    Oct 01, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hola, quiero saber si tienen esta versión offline, si es posible dejen la url

43. Grub
    Oct 06, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Very good programm! I use Version 1.5.1

In 2.0 there will be a option to deactivate the Panda-Firewall?

I need only the AV.

Thanx for answer!

44. Cluod
    Oct 07, 2011 - 05:35 PM

@Grub The Free version will not include a firewall, only PRO. In the current beta there is an option to disable the firewall.

45. Lehmann László
    Oct 26, 2011 - 08:35 PM

many thanks for great app,,

46. Brocke
    Nov 03, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I hope they give full BB and BA in the free version. that would be make more complete, and free.

47. Cloud
    Nov 11, 2011 - 01:58 AM

@Brocke
    The Free version does have the full BB.

48. hb
    Nov 27, 2011 - 04:54 AM

first of all,a very good program, i used 1.5.1 and i want to try out the beta. so pls can you provide a link for the OFFLINE INSTALLER for the beta?
    I really need it.

49. flax
    Dec 09, 2011 - 11:26 PM

is it possible to turn firewall in a program-learning state by asking the user ? so that there cant be an automatical connection without user agreement ?

50. bearbottoms
    Dec 13, 2011 - 04:19 AM

I am very impressed with Panda Cloud Antivirus Beta and I’ve used it for several months. Before that I have used the release candidate.

However, I am very disappointed to discover IMO a very dubious ‘trick’ to install your phishing toolbar and set Yahoo as the default search engine. I never noticed as I didn’t click the “Options” to discover the opt-out option which is not a standard practice to allow installation without noticing such, and devised to be overlooked. Such an opt-out should be clearly presented during the install without an opportunity overlook the screen. This is clearly the intent or it would not be devised as such.

I found out about this in a freeware forum I participate in. I have been promoting Panda Cloud Antivirus on my website and in forums. This however makes me rethink doing so. I am very disappointed.

It must only target Internet Explorer as I have never noticed the changes to my system as I use Chrome…which it did not affect. I have removed both and am seriously considering uninstalling PCAV for good.

I would recommend that you change your tactics and present these opt-outs (even better to have opt-ins instead) without the need to click an options screen which is very easily overlooked as I have done several times.