As you may know we released our Panda 2010 products yesterday. In addition to the traditional Panda Antivirus Pro 2010, Panda Internet Security 2010 and Panda Global Protection 2010, this year we've also released a tailor-made product for netbooks and ultra portables called Panda Antivirus for Netbooks.
I just got word from Andreas Marx from AV-Test.org that they've put Panda Internet Security 2010 (PIS 2010) to the test today. Some conclusions from the test can be seen below, using Andreas' own words:
WildList Test. We started with a detection test against all samples from the most recent WildList 05/2009 and malware from older releases. Our test set includes 3,194 confirmed malicious and widespread samples. We tested the set with the on-demand scanner and on-access guard. In both cases, Panda was able to detect and remove these viruses, worms and bots easily.
Full Collection Test. We were able to test PIS 2010 against a larger set of about 680,000 malware samples, including ad- and spyware, trojan horses and other critters. It detected 99.6% of these files, without flagging any files in our false positive / clean file test set, which is a very good result.
TruPrevent Test. We have tested the dynamic (behaviour-based) detection with a few recently released malware samples which are not yet detected by heuristics, signatures or the "in the cloud" features and found that Panda warned in about 45% of the cases when we executed the malware sample. However, it only blocked and quarantined just a few of these tested samples. (More testing in this area needs to be performed to report statistically significant results.)
Disinfection Test. The detection and removal of an already infected PC was working properly, all active components were removed during the system repair process and just in some cases, registry keys belonging to the malware were left behind.
Rootkit Test. The detection and removal of actively running rootkits was quite impressive: all rootkits in our test were successfully identified and deleted.
As you may imagine we're very happy about the results of this test and hope other independent tests come along soon that also validate the highest level of quality provided by our most advanced ever anti-malware solutions.
For detailed testing methodology (for rootkit detection and removal, system disinfection, dynamic detection, etc.) I recommend you visit AV-Test.org Papers selection.
Other advanced testing methodologies worth reading up on can also be found at ATMSO's Document Library.
i’m happy to hear that Panda has reached the 99 + detection rate , , just 1 question pedro, does Panda for netbook query to CI on execution of a file ?
outstanding ,,,, but files in quarntine are not classified as maleware , v.poor processing of maleware on cloud, its around 48 hrs but files stil don’t have any status, sorry for my poor english.
where is the test report links?
2010 product didn’t query to internet servers on execution of files (virus) like its prvious family products.
I have a question and I hope someone can explain me this.
When I read that Panda IS 2010 has 80% reduced memory consumption, I say I must test it.
I have WinXP and 2GB of RAM. With Panda IS 2009 total memory consumption was 366MB. Without any antivirus total memory consumption was 182MB. With Panda 2010 total memory consumption is about 360 MB. So there is almost no difference. But when I sum memory consumption of panda process in task manager I see that Panda IS 2010 using about 100MB less memory then 2009.
Can someone explain me why is total memory consumption almost the same and not about 260MB or less?
@hasan till av-test.org announce their result you can read a review at
i must say results are amazing i have tested my own with nearly 45000 samples and panda is 2010 didn’t missed any sample either by signaute or heuristics it catches all of them.
@tester Its becoz of TruPrevent, if you install with out TruPrevent it will take only 12 Mb max of memory but with TruPrevent its normal.
Here’s another I just found:
@tosfar many users have submitted this issue, i hope they are working to fix this issue.
@pedro, Panda 2010 doesn’t query to CI on execution of file, it only query when we download from internet or receive files from IM. it would be nice if 2010 products query to CI on execution like cloud av which query for each file we double click to execute.
After few days of testing I’m not happy with Panda IS 2010. Because I’m using TruPrevent I have nothing from 80% reduced memory consumption, because TruPrevent now uses more memory then Panda IS 2009 and on the end I’m on the same with total memory consumption.
An another thing … When Firewall, Identity Protection, etc. are already up, the Antivirus protection takes about 45s to start up. With Panda IS 2009 antivirus protection start up was much faster.
Sorry, but Panda IS 2010 didn’t convinced me. I’m staying with 2009 for now.
I have upgraded to PIS 2010 and some how i am agree with you, startup time is increased . .
but 2010 heuristics scanning is better than 2009, other wise its same doesn’t query to CI in realtime like Cloud AV, have dead slow processing of maleware in cloud, almost its week and files in quarantine have no update.
i think panda team should listen to their customers at least.
@Tester & @Buddee, startup time should be around the same, at least in our tests it is like this. Make sure you allow Panda 2010 to finish caching the files (by scanning the entire PC at least once) so that it is optimized. After a couple of reboots and some background scans, PAnda 2010 should run as smooth as 2009 if not more.
Regarding the cloud response time and quarantine, it is true that CloudAV is different than Panda 2009/2010. We are working on getting them to work in the same way, but keep in mind that CloudAV has been developed from 0 with different technology and that this integration is taking some time.
@pedro what to do with files in quarantine, i think a month ago you told us that you guys are fixing issue of classification of malware form quarantine, i have installed the PIS 2010 from 25th , files are detected suspicious and moved to quarantine but not classified as malware or goodware, sending same files to virustotal lots of scanner detectes them as virus.
what about panda sensors, sensors sens suspicous data aroudn the world and send to Cloud, and thats all no response from cloud. it seems Collective Intelligence is just collecting data from sensors.
This is a sh*t, can't uninstall, so I got to reinstall all my XP, cuz tpsrv.exe is taking 100% CPU, so nice…
@Pedro i think u should take a look on pc mag review http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350376,00.asp
Panda Cloud is offering better maleware blocking then PIS 2010, sound good that free version is better than Paid version.
I tried panda gp 2010 and I have some strange problem. Maybe it’s a bug, I don’t know, but always when I open the page below, tpsrv.exe uses 50% CPU and my computer starts to work very slow and I must restart it.
I notice that before on some other pages, but I don’t remember them now.
I have WinXP SP3, Firefox 3.5.2
i downloaded panda antivirus pro 2010 my windows security center says the firewall is working but the status page when i open panda the firewall is in red and i clicked on the solve button and restarted my computer it came back up still in red is there a fix for this
@buddee, right now we’re automatically classifying around 85% of the new stuff that’s being seen by the cloud. The remaining 15% still requires either more time or some manual processing.
@ViZion & @User, this is a known problem. Please post at our Support Forums to get help:
@kevin harrison, this problem was introduced by Microsoft and has been fixed already. Look at the Support Forums for the solution:
@buddee, right now we’re automatically processing all new samples through the cloud in 85% of the cases. The remaining 15% need either more time or some manual analysis. We’re improving this as our #1 priority at the labs. If you don’t get response in a few hours of a new variant being detected suspiciously (heuristics) please send it to us manually to email@example.com.
@ViZion, @User & @Kevin, all these issues are handled through our Technical Support Forums:
@pedro, i have found this update ” hfp 150906s3 ” in PIS 2010 reports, can you tell me the what its for ?
@buddee, this is what we call an “autofix” (aka automatic hotfix).
actually i wana know what this patch hfp 150906s3 updates,,
@buddee, this autofix adds support for the new Windows Security Center (WSC) API reporting mechanism.
Wonderful, really fast & effective suite. More handsome and more universal than before.