BBC

Fraudsters use BBC real news as bait to steal users’ identity

BBC

We have seen for many years the typical fraud cases where you are told you have won a lottery price, or someone from Nigeria has chosen you to give you millions of dollars… which also means that users can be able to recognize those kind of messages and to avoid fall in that trick.

And that’s why fraudsters try to innovate and create more realistic scenarios. This week there is a message spammed to a number of users worldwide talking about a donation:

You have been donated 1,500,000 GBP send name address mobile no for more info, Please read the article – http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26632914

That URL is not the typical malicious link, it takes you to the real BBC website:

BBC Email scam

To make it more realistic, the subject of the email reads “From Neil Trotter” and if you click on reply, it will send the message with whatever you write to “neil_trotter01@rogers.com”.

Of course users should never send any information to people they do not know of, even if they promise to give you 1.5 million Pounds.

Don’t fall for the trap!

download free antivirus

Related News

16 Responses

1. Dave
    Jun 22, 2014 - 10:54 AM

ned@eq.ccu.edu.tw
    My wife and I have awarded you with a donation of $ 1.5 million Dollars from
    part of our Jackpot Lottery of 161,653,000 Million Pounds, send your name,
    address, phone for claims.

View http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18801698

We await your earliest response and God Bless you.

Best of luck.

Colin & Chris Weir
    —————————————————————————————–
    Yep I got one of those and replied to it from a different email address pointing out that 1: the email was from a Taiwan email address, 2: to send me money of that amount should not be sent by post, it should be a direct transfer using something like BACS and 3: suggested that I didn’t give my details, but instead had theirs so as to inform them when the money had arrived in my account. Strange being so lucky that I never did get a reply.

2. Lonnie
    Jun 24, 2014 - 12:57 AM

“You are one of the five beneficiaries to Neil Trotter donation. Reply Barrister Liam Bradley for Info”‏

Is what I received in a email. Of course I contacted directly the website of law firm. We will see if I did the right thing or not.

• Cindy
      Jul 16, 2014 - 12:04 AM

I received the same email today…aren’t we lucky to have been one of five chosen out of billions of people….LOL!

3. Sandra
    Jul 05, 2014 - 01:24 PM

You have been choosen to receive a Donation of 1.5 Million GBP, from Neil Trotter, reply via his private email neiltrotter11@gmail.com for details. I received this a few minutes ago… The first thing I’ve done was google it and this page appears first. Thanks for the information.

4. Susan
    Jul 21, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Yes is scam neiltrotter11@gmail.com never send emails to the Person is nt neil trotter I got a text on my phone few weeks ago saying neil trotter is giving me 1.5million I knew was no it real but I just was to find out how far there people go . They say to me the money is in pireus bank in ukraine and I need email accounts@piraeusgroup.ivntl.com that’s fake email from bank this people are sick they told me to give my bank details to put the money in ahhah and I did. But Iam so broke no money at all no penny Iam changing my bank details be carefull with this people I feel sad but nada can go god bless u

5. Kay
    Aug 04, 2014 - 01:01 PM

This is what I got

Today at 5:10 AM

TURCAN CONNELL

LEGAL * WEALTH MANAGEMENT * TAX

Turcan Connell Charity Office

12 Stan-hope Gate, London W1K 1AW, United Kingdom

Dear Beneficiary,

You are welcome to the Law Chambers TURCAN CONNELL under the division of Turcan Connell Charity Office. I am Liam Bradley, Attorney @Law in charge of my client – Neil Trotter Donation funds. My client – Neil Trotter have decided to share his fortune with five individuals of which you are one of them having emerged a winner in the ongoing Euro million Jackpot 2014 and as his legal representative, I have been given the leverage to do so and ensure that the donation get to you being the rightful beneficiary. It will be of interest to note that you are entitled to £2,000,000.00 Great British Pound and this is a charity donation to you by my client – Neil Trotter to improve life and well-being of people all over the World.

Secondly, it is also imperative to note herein that your email address was among the list submitted to my client – Mr. Neil Trotter by the Google Management Team, UK Lottery Board, U.S Defense Contract Management Agency, World Census Bureau & the Charity Assembly and after a random system you were been considered as one of the beneficiaries. This is an act of charity, that my client do trust that the grant/ donation will be put into good use in setting up the much required developmental projects that will go a long way in alleviating the rate of poverty in our region. We are certain of the fact that the funds will not only benefit you and your family but also the less privileges around you.

As the legal counsel in charge and for utmost clarity, please peruse the link for due confirmation in lieu to the subject matter.

Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10704905/EuroMillions-jackpot-winner-announced-as-Neil-Trotter.html

To this end, you are advised to Contact the Pay-out Bank Clayford Bank Group for the disbursement of your donated sum of £2,000,000.00GBP using the below information;

Relating Officer: Mr. Jeffery Brown

Website:

Email: transferdept@clayfordb.com

( Chief Accounting/Security Officer )

You are therefore advise to get in contact with the Pay-out bank ( Clayford Bank Group ) so they can finalize with you as soon as possible. Once again, all that is being required of you is to follow the Bank’s instructions diligently so as to ensure a smooth transfer of your donated funds of £2,000,000.00GBP which is equivalent to $3,361,000.00USD.

As the executing attorney in charge of the disbursement of my client donation funds – Mr. Neil Trotter, please feel free to relate with me at any given time as I am readily available.

Finally, do provide me your mobile number and let me know the convenient time of when to call. Alternatively, you can as well call me at your own convenient as I am always available.

I do hope I have communicated and once again, Congratulations & Happy Celebrations in advance

6. Carlos Tome
    Aug 27, 2014 - 09:47 AM

I too was scam bait,but I wrote back just that I don’t have a bank account.see what they do with that.lol.drop me like a hot potato is my guess.

7. Sue Cutright
    Aug 29, 2014 - 05:55 PM

I received an email from Nicole Robles saying i was 1 of 5 beneficiaries to the Neil Trotter donation…for more information email to barr.liamchambers@gmail.com thought it was to good to be true so i check the internet first before emailing them ….good thing i did !!!

8. Xaimara leon
    Aug 31, 2014 - 06:23 PM

I was also sent this email a few days ago and today I get an email stating that this is real and i don’t have to send any money to pay anyone out of my own pocket. I don’t know what to think but I hope they don’t use my information I gave them to damage my life. God Please Watch Over ME.

• Regina Bell
      Dec 16, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I also got the same thing but I got a letter from a law firm and I have goggled this law firm and it’s in the uk! I haven’t sent my info so if you know of anything? And I’ve done research on this man! I’ve also asked for this law firm to call me back! Because I am not about to give out my info and someone steal my identity!

• Marta López
        Dec 17, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hi Regina. You should never send any information to people you do not know. Be careful!

9. Baltazar Diaz Jr.I
    Sep 05, 2014 - 07:17 PM

I recieved one today and yesterday today is of a donation and im am to contact Barrister Peter Littlefield attorny at law handling the matter and im to send them my info…yesterday it was Dave and Angela Dawes and there donations..im just not this lucky freinds ive been poor all my life..and to pull this kind of stunt on me is just not good..Bad enough my struggles are ever so presant but to recieve a deception just aint rite..ppl be ware these crooks are amoung us…

10. G Irvin
    Sep 05, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Here is the email I received FYI

INFO
    Amanda Timler (amanda.timler@nd.edu.au) Add to contacts 8/29/14
    amanda.timler@nd.edu.au
    From: Amanda Timler (amanda.timler@nd.edu.au)
    Sent: Fri 8/29/14 10:30 AM
    To:
    Microsoft SmartScreen marked this message as junk and we’ll delete it after ten days.
    Wait, it’s safe!|I’m not sure. Let me check
    You are one of the beneficiary of the Neil Trotter Donation Program , For More info please contact Barrister Liam Bradley on barr.liamchambers@gmail.com

IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments please check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying any affected attachments.

11. C Blanco
    Oct 22, 2014 - 04:37 PM

fraude enviado a mi correo

Buen día!

Usted puede ser sorprendido, porque no hemos visto antes y tengo miedo
    de muchas cosas están ocurriendo ahora y en el internet, pero esta es la
    única manera que puedo agradecer a Dios por lo que hizo por mí y mi
    familia, y también para ayudar a otros. Mi nombre es Neil Trotter el
    ganador de 108,000,000.00 GBP en Euromillion Jackpot Dibuja 2014 he
    decidido darle un millón de libras (£ 1,000,000.00 GBP) cada una a 10
    personas en todo el mundo y por suerte su correo electrónico fue dado a
    mí por la administración Google como uno de nuestros afortunados
    beneficiarios después de la votación.

Felicitaciones a usted y su familia.
    Por favor, visite: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-26627075,
    para más información y responder con tu,

nombre completo
    Dirección Residencial y
    Número de teléfono celular a;

Sr. Raymond Pascal Morgan
    E-mail: raymondpascalmorgan@gmail.com

Saludos cordiales,
    Sr. Neil Trotter.
    Dios le bendice.

12. sara
    Dec 11, 2014 - 12:44 AM

gracias por publicar, estos mensajes a mi me llego este correo,, pero no mande ninguna informacion,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks