Panda Security offers all customers who request it a tool to upgrade the Panda AdminSecure-based protection installed on their networks to Adaptive Defense 360 or to Endpoint Protection or Endpoint Protection Plus.
This tool recreates in Adaptive Defense 360 and Endpoint Protection the same group structure and settings that exist in AdminSecure. Additionally, it also uninstalls every protection distributed from AdminSecure and installs the Endpoint Protection and Adaptive Defense 360 protection on the computers.
To get the upgrade tool, you must first have requested an upgrade to Adaprive Defense 360 or to Endpoint Protection (Plus), and have received an email with the instructions to download the tool, as well as your login credentials. If you haven’t already done so, please contact a sales representative to request your product upgrade and to get the necessary information.
- If you have more than one repository on your network, read Additional steps for installations with more than one repository.
- The upgrade tool is personalized with the customer ID, so it must not be run by a customer other than the appropriate one.
- The tool upgrades most of the settings that are common to both protections (except for the firewall settings). In the case of those settings that are not common to both solutions, the Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) default settings will be applied.
- Clear the Install protection for Windows workstations and Install protection for Windows servers options available through the Protection --> Automatic installation settings... option in the Panda AdminSecure console. This way, you will prevent Panda AdminSecure from trying to install again once Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) is installed.
- Reports are not upgraded. Therefore it is recommended that you save any information that you may consider necessary before launching the upgrade process.
- The tool doesn’t run on Windows 2000 (Server or Workstation).
- The tool won’t work on computers with Exchange Server and Panda Security for Exchange Servers installed. In those cases, you can:
- Uninstall Panda Security for Exchange Servers and install the Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) agent.
- Or, if you want to do it automatically with the upgrade tool, uninstall Panda Security for Exchange Servers from Panda AdminSecure before running the tool.
- On computers with Panda Security for ISA Servers or Panda Security for Domino Servers installed, the tool will upgrade the file protection to Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus), keeping the solutions installed.
- For the tool to work properly in Internet Explorer, you will need to disable the use of SSL in the Advanced Security Settings and enable the use of TSL.
Steps to upgrade from Panda AdminSecure to Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus)
- Click the download link in the email we have sent you.
- Enter your new login credentials -login email and password- on the page displayed on the screen. This will download the specific upgrade tool for your IT environment.
- For more controlled deployment, select the computers whose protection you want to upgrade. Click the Updates tab --> Update computers option, in the Repository management section of the AdminSecure console.
- Once downloaded, run the tool on the computer with the main AdminServer installed.
Note: Some OS may require elevated permissions to launch the tool. We suggest to right click the tool icon and select "Run as Administrator".
- The upgrade process will run transparently to the user.
- After upgrade is complete, uninstall the AdminSecure communications agents from the AdminSecure console by sending out an agent uninstallation task.
- Finally, uninstall the agents, repositories, AdminServer, databases and additional consoles. Save in advance any data you may want to keep.
How does the tool work?
Once run, the tool does the following:
- Checks to see if the customer is correctly registered in Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus).
- Replicates in Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) the information collected from AdminSecure. That is, it creates the group structure and profiles in Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) and assigns each profile to the corresponding group.
- A profile will be created for each different AdminSecure configuration.
- If there is a configuration that applies to a group with workstations and servers, the workstation settings will be upgraded and the server exclusions will be added to it.
- If any computer has its own configuration (not inherited from a group), a group and profile will be created in Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) specifically with the computer name.
- Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) has a maximum of six group levels. If an AdminSecure customer has more than six, the groups above the fifth level will be included as child groups of the fifth group.
- If a group name coincides with another, suffixes will be added "_1", "_2", "_3"... until the names don’t coincide.
Example of a group structure upgraded from AdminSecure to Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus):
Empty groups will not be replicated.
- The tool will download the latest version of the Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) agent available to the customer, and include it in the AdminSecure repository as a protection hotfix.
- This hotfix will contain the necessary information to integrate the computers into the appropriate Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) groups.
- If the customer has several repositories, it will be distributed to all of them using the usual means and the rules configured for each of them.
- The tool will upgrade the computers according to the AdminSecure configuration.
- The tool will uninstall the Panda AdminSecure protection and install the new Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) protection. As the protection gets installed you will be able to see it in both the AdminSecure console and the Adaptive Defense 360/Endpoint Protection (Plus) Web console.
Additional steps for installations with more than one repository
If you have additional repositories, in order to upgrade you must:
- Run the tool in the primary AdminServer.
- A copy of the hotfix (PandaAdminSecureUpdate.exe) will be left in the tool installation path.
- It is mandatory to run this hotfix in all repositories that are updated from the Internet. You can run it, if desired, in those repositories with direct replication, so the presence of the hotfix in these repositories is streamlined.
Note: If there is more than a primary AdminServer, the tool should be run in each primary AdminServer. Each installation will generate a Hotfix to apply in the different AdminServer repositories, not being the hotfix of an AdminServer valid for the repository of a different AdminServer.
What to do in case of technical issues
Should any issue occur during the upgrade process, please collect the following log files and send them to your Panda Technical Support office for further analysis:
- MigrationTool.log: It will be created in the computer where the tool is installed. By default in %ProgramFiles%\Panda Security\Endpoint Protection migration wizard.
- MigPandaAdPCOP.log: Logs of the Endpoints to be upgraded. It will be created in the system %temp% folder.