Panda GateDefender Integra implements the VPN module. This module allows virtual private networks to be created, extending your local network while safeguarding confidentiality of connections. Below are the steps to configure a VPN connection from the Panda GateDefender Integra console.
Steps to configure a VPN
- Go to the Panda GateDefender Integra administration console. For instructions on how to do this, click here.
- Then, click on VPN in the panel on the left.
- Then, click on VPN management, select the Enable VPN system check box. If this check box is cleared, all the options in VPN management, i.e., the VPN management, VPN monitor and digital certificate management options, will be disabled.
- To define the users, go to the Definitions option in the panel on the left and click on User management.
- Then, to configure the IP address, go back to the Definitions option and select IP addresses.
NOTE: Users can be managed and IP addresses can be configured either before configuring a VPN connection, as described in this document, or while configuring it.
- To configure the protocols, go to the main VPN menu and select VPN management. Panda GateDefender Integra can establish VPN tunnels through the following protocols:
- PPTP (Point-to-Point tunneling protocol): Network protocol that allows transfers between remote clients and servers in private networks, using both switched telephone lines and the Internet. PPTP is an extension of PPP that supports flow control and multi-protocol tunneling on IP. Click here for instructions on how to configure a VPN using PPTP.
- L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol): Resolves interoperability problems between PPTP and L2F encapsulating the characteristics of both. Allows tunneling at PPP link level, so that IP, IPX and AppleTalk packets sent privately can be transported via the Internet. Supported by IPSec for data security. Click here for instructions on how to configure a VPN using L2TP.
- IPSec (IP Secure): Security protocol that allows the secure interchange of packets in the IP layer, guaranteeing the security of the link between the device and a network. It offers integrity, authentication, access control and confidentiality for sending IP packets via Internet
- SSL (Secure Socket Layer): Security protocol to safeguard access to information circulating through Internet protocols (HTTP, SMTP, FTP, etc.) symmetrically encrypting the data. The data can only be accessed with the correct key.
IMPORTANT: The Panda GateDefender Integra VPN module works in both server and client mode for IPSec and SSL. However, due to limitations in PPTP and L2TP, the Panda GateDefender Integra VPN module only works in server mode with these protocols.
- After you have enabled the VPN module and configured a VPN, Panda GateDefender Integra allows you to monitor the status of the VPNs created. To do this, click on VPN monitor from the main VPN menu.