The restore DVD included with the Panda GateDefender Performa unit allows you to restore the system if errors occur.
However, it is important to bear the following in mind:
It is a restore DVD not an update DVD.
This method for restoring the system must only be used as a last resort to solve possible errors. Ask Panda support technicians for advice before using it. Depending on the date of the DVD, you might need to get a more up-to-date-copy. The system will restore the default values, replacing the settings established.
To be able to recover these parameters, export the settings so that you can import them again when the system has recovered.
Steps prior to restoring the system: How to export the settings
To save the settings of your Panda GateDefender Performa unit, follow the steps below:
- Go to the administration console.
- From the System settings menu, select Export/import settings.
- Click Export to create the file and save it on the computer.
Restoring Panda GateDefender Performa 8050/8100/8200
To restore the system, you need to use the Live DVD restore disk included with the unit. As the Panda GateDefender Performa models do not have a CD/DVD drive, you should connect the unit to another computer; to the restore server. Similarly, this computer must have a DVD drive. The Performa live DVD software will launch an internal DHCP server which automatically assigns an IP to restoration unit as soon as it is started, then the software will discover the unit and the restoration process will start. Panda GateDefender Performa should be connected to the network through the connector labeled Res.
Requirements for installing the restore server
- Intel Pentium IV Processor, or similar.
- 256 MB of RAM.
- DVD drive.
Steps to follow
- Insert the Live DVD in the DVD drive of the recovery server.
- Restart the computer.
- Restart the Panda GateDefender Performa unit so that when it has restarted, it locates the restore server in the network.
- When the Panda GateDefender Performa unit has connected to the server, the Start restore button lights up. Click on it.
- The server shows the status of the process. When the recovery process ends, a warning is displayed.
- Click on OK to restart the unit.
Warning: The restore process must not be interrupted once it has started. Therefore, do not shut down the system while Panda GateDefender Performa is working, otherwise the entire system will be corrupted.
When this process is complete, Panda GateDefender will have lost all of the settings and will display the factory settings.
How to import the settings
To recover the configuration parameters established before restoring the system, follow the steps below:
From the System settings menu, select Export/import settings.
Click on Browse to look for the configuration file.
Finally, click on Import to incorporate the file.
After completing these steps, the system will be completely restored
Note: When importing a configuration file from another unit, remember that the name and network IP address of the appliance must be unique. Therefore, these details must be modified if another unit is using them.