- Error in the Panda antivirus protection.
- The Internet browser search engine has been changed to search.ask.com.
- Software I wasn't aware of having installed appears on the list of installed programs.
These issues are likely to be caused by a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) called Movies Toolbar, Music Toolbar or Settings Manager. Movies Toolbar is a browser hijacker usually promoted via other free downloads. Once installed, it will change the browser homepage and the default search engine to search.ask.com. Furthermore, if you are infected and install the antivirus afterwards, the Panda protection status will show errors.
Use Panda Cloud Cleaner to scan and remove Movies Toolbar/Music Toolbar/Settings Manager by following the instructions below according to your operating system. Check Microsoft's article Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
32-bits Operating Systems
Beware! The computer will be restarted several times during the scan. Please make sure you save and close all the work in progress before you proceed with the instructions.
- Download and install Panda Cloud Cleaner.exe on the infected computer.
- Run Panda Cloud Cleaner. Select the Advanced options.
- Tick the Activate trusted boot scan option and click OK.
- Then, click Accept and Scan.
- Select Restart now! when the following window is displayed. The computer will be restarted.
- After restarting the computer, Panda Cloud Cleaner will launch a scan to identify the startup elements that will be blocked at the next reboot.
- Select the Malware & PUPs section to view the details of the detection.
- By default, all the detected PUPs will be unchecked. Tick the ones you wish to remove and click Back and Continue scan. If you are unsure of which to select, we recommend ticking all the detected PUPs.
- Then, you will be requested to restart your computer again to block the loading of all the elements detected up to this stage. Click Restart now!
- Once the computer is restarted, Panda Cloud Cleaner will perform a scan from a safe environment, as all the malware detected has already been blocked.
- When the malware results are displayed, click Clean.
64-bits Operating Systems
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\
- Locate and right-click cmd.exe and select the option Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista/7/8).
- Type the following command and press Enter:
sc config F06DEFF2-5B9C-490D-910F-35D3A9119622 start=disabled
- Reboot the PC.
- Download and run PandaCloudCleaner.exe file and follow the scan wizard through.
- When the scan finishes, Panda Cloud Cleaner will display a summary of the malware found.
- Select the Malware & PUPs section to view the detail of the detection.
- Tick the PUPS you wish to remove and hit Back. If unsure, we recommend ticking all the detected PUPs.
- Finally, select Clean for the disinfection to begin.
If your browser's start page is still modified, right-click on the browser shortcut, go to Properties, click the Shortcut tab and remove the long URL in the Target field.
NOTE: If your Panda antivirus displayed error in the protection before the Panda Cloud Cleaner scan and disinfection process, you must reinstall your Panda antivirus product.
Visit the Panda Cloud Cleaner Help menu to find out about the Panda Cloud Cleaner scan options.