Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
|Type:||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Effects: ||It logs keystrokes, passwords and accessed web pages in a file, which can be sent via e-mail stealthily.|
|Detection updated on:||March 10, 2004|
StarKeylog.A is a Hacking Tool. Though these programs are legitimate and useful tools when they are appropriately used, a hacker could take advantage of them in order to carry out malicious actions.
StarKeylog.A is a keylogger that has the following functionalities:
- It logs keystrokes, username, passwords, accessed web pages and names of active Windows applications. This information is stored in an encrypted file.
- It allows to install it via e-mail. The keylogger will be sent in a message with an attachment that has a variable name. When the user runs the attached file, the computer is affected.
- It allows an stealth installation. StarKeylog.A will be run silently on the affected computer, without the user noticing.
- The logged file is sent via e-mail, or it can be stored in an especific directory of a network.
- It allows to password-protect the logged file.
StarKeylog.A is not a risk by itself, but it can be used with malicious intentions.
When StarKeylog.A is installed via e-mail, it displays the following fake error message on screen when the attached file is run: