Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
|Effects: ||It disables some Word options. It shows messages on screen and emits beeping sounds.|
|Detection updated on:||Nov. 13, 2002|
Bablas.BH is a macro virus that reaches computers in an infected Word 97 document, with a DOC extension. Then, it infects the Word template (NORMAL.DOT file) and spreads to all the Word documents generated with it.
Bablas.BH activates on Fridays and Sundays, before 9 p.m. and its effects are more irritating than damaging:
- It emits beeping sounds when an infected document is opened.
- It displays several messages on screen.
- It modifies some of the options in the main menu in the Word window.
Bablas.BH activates on Fridays and Sundays before 9 p.m. When it carries out its infection, it shows a large number of symptoms:
- It changes the title of the Word window to: Bpp Hacker is now activating (I Don´t mean to disturb.).:
It displays the text Copying Bpp Hacker from<name_of_open_document>to Normal Template..., at the bottom of the Word window (Status bar).
It displays the following message that informs the user that the document macros cannot be created or modified:This happens when the Macro option in the Word 97 Tools menu is accessed.
It displays the following warning when the About Microsoft Word option is selected in the Help menu in the Word window:
- When the Word window is closed, it beeps several times and displays another message.
Before carrying out the actions above, Bablas.BH checks that it is Friday or Sunday and earlier than 9 p.m.
By clicking on OK in this window, the virus finishes its operations and allows the Word window to be closed.