Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
|Alias:||Music, Music.E, I-Worm/Music.A, I-Worm/Music.E|
|Effects: ||It shows Christmas greetings on the screen. It plays the tune We wish you a Merry Christmas. It updates itself via the Internet.|
|Detection updated on:||Nov. 13, 2002|
Music.A is a worm that is easy to recognize as it shows Christmas greetings messages on the affected computer’s screen.
It reaches computers in a file called MUSIC (with EXE, COM or ZIP extension) attached to an e-mail message with the following text: Hi, just testing email using Merry Christmas Music file, you'll like it.
Music is not a dangerous worm as it does not have any destructive effects:
- It displays several images on screen.
- It plays the tune We wish you a Merry Christmas.
- It updates itself via the Internet.
- It sends itself out to every address found in the Address Book.
The first symptom of Music.A is an e-mail message with the following characteristics:
- Message: any of the following two texts:
Hi, just testing email using Merry Christmas Music file, you'll like it.
Hi, just testing email usingMerry Christmas Music file, not bad Music.
- Attachments: Any of the following:
The three of them are actually the SYSMCM.EXE file, whose name is changed by Music.A when it sends it out.
When the attached file is run, Music.A activates and the following symptoms can be seen:
- The tune We wish you a Merry Christmas is played though the computer’s speakers.
- The following image is displayed on the screen:
When the music finishes, another window is displayed: