Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It causes the slowdown of the system, preventing planned tasks from being carried out.
It carries out actions that decrease the security level of the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, via mapped drives, through shared network resources, by infecting files that are then distributed.
|First detected on:||Sept. 7, 2010|
|Detection updated on:||Sept. 8, 2010|
Sality.AZ is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
IRC; it changes system permissions, decreasing the security level.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
Sality.AZ uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.
- File infection: it infects different types of files, which are then distributed through any of the usual means: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.