Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to get into the affected computer.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It carries out actions that decrease the security level of the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, via email.
|First detected on:||Aug. 6, 2010|
|Detection updated on:||Aug. 6, 2010|
Mailbot.GG is a Trojan, which although seemingly inoffensive, can actually carry out attacks and intrusions.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it converts the computer into a platform for taking malicious action surreptitiously: spam sending, launch of Denial of Service attacks, malware distribution, etc.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
- On remote sites: it mass mails junk mail (spam).
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it listens on open ports in order to control the computer remotely; it awaits remote-control orders received through
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
Mailbot.GG uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.