Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It sends the information it has captured to a remote user.
It listens on open ports in order to allow remote access to the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||March 10, 2010|
|Detection updated on:||April 13, 2010|
Downloader.XLU is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it listens on open ports in order to control the computer remotely.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
Downloader.XLU uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
Downloader.XLU is easy to recognize, as it shows the following symptoms:
- It changes the homepage of Internet Explorer.