Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It awaits remote-control orders to carry out.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, via IRC, through instant messaging.
|First detected on:||Dec. 17, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 17, 2009|
Oscarbot.XV is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
Oscarbot.XV uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Instant messaging: it sends links pointing to a copy of itself to all users included in the infected user's contacts list.
Oscarbot.XV uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.