IRCBot.CSK is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it converts the computer into a platform for taking malicious action surreptitiously: spam sending, launch of Denial of Service attacks, malware distribution, etc.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it notifies the attacker that the computer has been compromised and is ready to be used maliciously; it listens on open ports in order to control the computer remotely; it awaits remote-control orders received through
IRC, HTTP, or FTP.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It prevents scanning tools from running, such as Windows Registry Editor, FileMonitor, etc.
IRCBot.CSK uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.
- File infection: it infects different types of files, which are then distributed through any of the usual means: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.
IRCBot.CSK uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.