Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to gain remote access to the affected computer.
It causes the slowdown of the system, preventing planned tasks from being carried out.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||Nov. 10, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 3, 2009|
Rustock.BX is a backdoor that allows hackers to gain remote access to the affected computer in order to carry out actions that compromise user confidentiality and impede the tasks performed on the computer.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses several third-party rootkits to hide the items it introduces on the affected computer.
- It injects itself in running processes.
Rustock.BX uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.