Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers, and has damaging effects on the affected computer.
|First detected on:||Sept. 24, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 24, 2009|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
|P2Pworm.CN is a virus that also has the characteristics of a worm. |
P2Pworm.CN gets into a computer via e-mail, the Internet, floppy disks, etc, and it spreads by inserting its code in other files and programs. Its effects can range from simply annoying to destructive.
Furthermore, due to its worm characteristics, P2Pworm.CN also spreads by sending out copies of itself. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, preventing users from working with the affected computer.
P2Pworm.CN is designed to affect one or more specific companies.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
passwords saved by certain Windows services; email addresses; user's browsing habits.
P2Pworm.CN prevents access from programs to websites of several companies related with security tools (antivirus programs, firewalls, etc.).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
P2Pworm.CN uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs: it makes copies of itself with enticing names in shared folders belonging to these programs. Other users of this type of networks then voluntarily download and run the infected files.
- Instant messaging: it sends links pointing to a copy of itself to all users included in the infected user's contacts list.