Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers, and has damaging effects on the affected computer.
|First detected on:||Aug. 25, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||Aug. 25, 2009|
|Autorun.SS is a virus that also has the characteristics of a worm. |
Autorun.SS gets into a computer via e-mail, the Internet, floppy disks, etc, and it spreads by inserting its code in other files and programs. Its effects can range from simply annoying to destructive.
Furthermore, due to its worm characteristics, Autorun.SS also spreads by sending out copies of itself. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, preventing users from working with the affected computer.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
Autorun.SS uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.