Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
|worm, Trojan or backdoor. It is a group of critical vulnerabilities in the Active Template Library (ATL) on Windows 2008/Vista/2003/XP/2000 computers, which allows arbitrary code to be remotely executed in the vulnerable computer.|
The affected components are:
- Outlook Express:
- version 6 on Windows 2003/XP/2000.
- version 5.5 on Windows 2000.
- Windows Media Player:
- version 9 on Windows XP/2000.
- version 10 on Windows 2003/XP.
- version 11 on Windows 2008/Vista/XP.
- Windows ATL Component on Windows 2008/Vista/2003/XP/2000.
- DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control on Windows 2003/XP/2000.
- MSWebDVD ActiveX Control on Windows 2003/XP.
If exploited successfully, MS09-037 allows hackers to gain remote control of the affected computer with the same privileges as the logged on user. If this user had administrator rights, the hacker could take complete control of the system: create, modify or delete files, install programs, create new user accounts, etc.
This vulnerability is usually exploited by creating a specially website and enticing users to visit it. The link to this malicious website can be distributed using differente means, like email or instant messaging, among others.
If you have any of the vulnerable components installed in your computer, it is recommended to download and apply the security patch for this vulnerability. Click here to access the web page for downloading the patch.