Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out damaging actions on the affected computer.
It searches for and steals passwords saved for certain Windows services.
It terminates processes belonging to security tools, leaving the computer vulnerable to other malware attacks.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, via IRC, via mapped drives, through shared network resources.
|First detected on:||June 19, 2009|
|Detection updated on:||June 20, 2009|
Autorun.JCI is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
passwords saved by certain Windows services.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
Autorun.JCI uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.
Autorun.JCI uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.