Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to gain remote access to the affected computer. It spreads and affects other computers.
|First detected on:||Dec. 22, 2008|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 22, 2008|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
|Oscarbot.VH is a worm with that has backdoor characteristics. Oscarbot.VH spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, thus preventing users from working on their computers.|
Furthermore, due to its backdoor characteristics, Oscarbot.VH allows hackers to gain remote access to the affected computer. Therefore, hackers will be able to carry out actions that compromise user confidentiality and impede the tasks carried out on the computer.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Oscarbot.VH uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.