Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, via email.
|First detected on:||Aug. 19, 2008|
|Detection updated on:||Aug. 19, 2008|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Nuwar.YM is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
- On remote sites: it launches denial of service attacks against Web servers or remote databases.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that it is being executed in a virtual machine environment, such as VMWare or VirtualPC.
Nuwar.YM uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.