MS08-026 is not categorized as virus, worm, Trojan or backdoor. It is a group of critical vulnerabilities in certain versions of Word, which allows arbitrary code to be remotely executed in the vulnerable computer.
The affected versions are:
- 2007 Office System Service Pack 1: Word 2007 Service Pack 1.
- 2007 Office System: Word 2007.
- Office 2003: Word 2003 Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3.
- Office XP: Word 2002 Service Pack 3.
- Office 2000: Word 2002 Service Pack 3.
- Office Word Viewer 2003 and Service Pack 3.
- Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats and Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats Service Pack 1.
- Office 2008 and 2004 for Mac.
If exploited successfully, MS08-026 allows hackers to gain remote control of the affected computer with the same privileges as the logged-on user. If this user had administrator rights, the hacker could take complete control of the system: create, modify or delete files, install programs, create new user accounts, etc.
MS08-026 is exploited by sending a specially crafted Word file via email and enticing users into opening it or by hosting a specially crafted Word file in a web page and entincing users into visiting it.
If you have any of the vulnerable programs installed on your computer, it is recommended to download and apply the security patch for this vulnerability. Click here to access the web page for downloading the patch.
Additionally, bear in mind that this security bulletin replaces the bulletin MS08-014, MS08-009 or MS07-24, depending on the versions.