W32VbsRotator.A is a virus that spreads to other computers by copying its code to other files or programs.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it displays pop-up windows.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
W32VbsRotator.A uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- File infection: it infects different types of files, which are then distributed through any of the usual means: floppy disks, email messages with attachments, Internet download, files transferred via FTP, IRC channels, P2P file sharing networks, etc.
W32VbsRotator.A uses the following infection strategies:
- Resident: once it has been run, the virus goes memory resident and stops functions belonging to the operating system. Therefore, every time the operating system or an application tries to access any of these functions, the virus will activate and infect new files.