Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It carries out plenty of modifications in the Windows Registry, which prevent the computer from working properly. It disables applications such as the Task Manager, and hides several functions of the Start menu, such as Search, and many options of the Control panel. It reaches the computer in a file that has the icon of a Word document.
|First detected on:||Nov. 13, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 20, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Nekat.A is a worm that carries out plenty of modifications in the Windows Registry, which prevent the user from working with the computer as usual.
These modifications prevents the user from carrying out the following actions, among others:
- Doing searches in a fast and straight way, as it disables the option Search from the Start menu.
- Viewing the processes that are being run through the Task Manager.
- Modifying the configuration of the features of the folders.
- Recovering previously created restore points of the system by the system restore utility.
- Modifying the screen saver, the screen resolution or color through the option Display Properties.
Nekat.A reaches the computer in a file with the icon of a Word document, passing itself off as an inoffensive document. It spreads through the removable and shared files.
Nekat.A is difficult to recognize, as it does not display any messages or warnings that indicate it has reached the computer.