Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
It uses anti-monitoring techniques in order to prevent it being detected by antivirus companies.
, through instant messaging.
|First detected on:||Oct. 25, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||Oct. 25, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
MsnPhoto.H is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses several third-party rootkits to hide the items it introduces on the affected computer.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It prevents scanning tools from running, such as Windows Registry Editor, FileMonitor, etc.
- Its code is encrypted and it is only decrypted when it is going to run. Because of this, its code is not legible through a memory dump.
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that a debugging program is active.
MsnPhoto.H uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Instant messaging: it sends links pointing to a copy of itself to all users included in the infected user's contacts list.