Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It is a virus with worm features. Its main aim is to infect PE files (Portable Executable) and to spread via email and the mIRC program.
|First detected on:||Sept. 6, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||Sept. 6, 2007|
Gnome.D is a virus with worm features, whose main aim is to spread and infect as many computers as possible.
In order to do so, it uses the following means:
- Infecting PE files (Portable Executable), which can be executed in different 32-bit operating systems (Windows XP/2000/NT/Me/98/95). The virus is activated every time an infected file is run.
- Email, in a message with an attached file.
- the mIRC program, sending a message to the users who are connected to a certain channel.
Gnome.D is easy to recognize, as it reaches the computer in a file named COOL_SCREEN_SAVER_SCR_.EXE, which has the icon assigned by default to executable files:
This file can be distributed via:
- email: in a message like the following with an attached file:
Hi dear friend, I want to show you what I has found in the Internet! L check the att ached file for more info. V I have incluyed a program which illustrates hm y opinion a bout things you wrot e me a few days ago. check this nice. bye. ; - )
- mIRC: it sends one of the following messages and a copy of itself to all the users connected to a certain channel at that moment:
- i just get new $chan screen saber
- and i think everyone need to
- see this screen saver so i send you
- ok,plz tell me your opinion
- about this $chan screen saver.
- just a minute...