Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It spreads and affects other computers.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy.
It uses the infected computer to take malicious actions on other users.
It awaits remote-control orders to carry out.
, via IRC, via mapped drives, through shared network resources.
|First detected on:||Aug. 22, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||Aug. 22, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Gaobot.PYB is a worm that spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
passwords saved by certain Windows services; keystrokes, in order to obtain information for accessing online banking services, passwords and other confidential information.
It sends the gathered information to a remote user by any available means: email, FTP, etc.
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
it converts the computer into a platform for taking malicious action surreptitiously: spam sending, launch of Denial of Service attacks, malware distribution, etc.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
Gaobot.PYB uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.
- Computer networks (mapped drives): it creates copies of itself in mapped drives.
- Computer networks (shared resources): it creates copies of itself in shared network resources to which it has access.