Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to get into the affected computer.
It collects email addresses stored on the infected computer.
It mass mails junk mail (spam).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet, via email.
|First detected on:||May 3, 2007|
|Detection updated on:||May 3, 2007|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
WinOpts.AO is a Trojan, which although seemingly inoffensive, can actually carry out attacks and intrusions.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
- On remote sites: it mass mails junk mail (spam).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It injects itself in running processes.
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
WinOpts.AO uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.