AraBitMaker.B is a hacking tool. These are programs designed to enable malicious users to cause or facilitate action detrimental to the target computer.
However, under certain circumstances (for example with network administrators), they could be used to check the security status, possible attack channels (in order to minimize risks), etc.
These tools, even though they are not by nature viruses, are considered as dangerous to victims of attacks.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
keystrokes, in order to obtain information for accessing online banking services, passwords and other confidential information.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it terminates processes belonging to security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, leaving the computer defenseless against attacks from other malware; it changes system permissions, decreasing the security level.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It terminates processes corresponding to several security tools, such as antivirus programs and firewalls, to prevent detection.
- It modifies system permissions in order to hide itself.
It uses several methods in order to avoid detection by antivirus companies:
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that a memory dump program is running, such as Procdump.
- It terminates its own execution if it detects that a debugging program is active.
AraBitMaker.B uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.