Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It allows to gain remote access to the affected computer. It spreads and affects other computers.
|First detected on:||Dec. 23, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Dec. 23, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
|OptixPro.BR is a worm with that has backdoor characteristics. OptixPro.BR spreads by copying itself, without infecting other files. Its main objective is to collapse computers and networks, thus preventing users from working on their computers.|
Furthermore, due to its backdoor characteristics, OptixPro.BR allows hackers to gain remote access to the affected computer. Therefore, hackers will be able to carry out actions that compromise user confidentiality and impede the tasks carried out on the computer.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
passwords saved by certain Windows services.
It reduces the security level of the computer:
it awaits remote-control orders received through
IRC or FTP.
OptixPro.BR prevents access from programs to websites of several companies related with security tools (antivirus programs, firewalls, etc.).
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It uses techniques included in its code to hide itself while it is active.
- It injects itself in running processes.
OptixPro.BR uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
- Email: sending emails that include a copy of itself as an attachment. The computer is infected when the attachment is run.
- IRC: It sends a copy of itself to all users connected to the channel to which the infected user is connected.