Welcome to the Virus Encyclopedia of Panda Security.
It establishes a phone connection with a high rate number.
It affects the productivity of the computer, the network to which it’s connected or other remote sites.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user.
, across the Internet.
|First detected on:||Oct. 2, 2006|
|Detection updated on:||Oct. 2, 2006|
|Yes, using TruPrevent Technologies
Dialer.IBK is a dialer type malware. Dialers usually try to establish phone connections with high rate numbers, significantly increasing the phone bill of the affected user.
Dialer.IBK affects computers that use a modem to connect to the Internet, as the virus modifies the Dial-up network access settings. It changes the telephone number provided by the ISP (Internet Service Provider), which is a local-rate number, to a high-rate number.
It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy:
It affects productivity, preventing tasks from being carried out:
- In the affected computer:
causes system slowdowns.
- In the local network:
it generates a large amount of network activity and consumes bandwidth.
It uses stealth techniques to avoid being detected by the user:
- It deletes the original file from which it was run once it is installed on the computer.
Dialer.IBK uses the following propagation or distribution methods:
- Exploiting vulnerabilities with the intervention of the user: exploiting vulnerabilities in file formats or applications. To exploit them successfully it needs the intervention of the user: opening files, viewing malicious web pages, reading emails, etc.
- Via Internet, exploiting remote vulnerabilities: attacking random IP addresses, in which it tries to insert a copy of itself by exploiting one or more vulnerabilities.
Dialer.IBK is easy to recognize, as it shows the following symptoms:
- It creates shortcuts in the Windows Desktop.